Follow these tips to be better prepared in the event of a hurricane
Prepare a survival kit for your home
- Include first aid supplies, hygiene products and any medication that you/your family may need.
- Have a ready supply of flashlights and spare batteries: remember to keep a fully charged spare battery for your mobile.
- Include a spare set of house and car keys.
- Bring entertainment- battery-operated radios, books, magazines and indoor games can help weather the storm.
Stock up on non-perishables, food and water
- Always keep meat, poultry, fish and eggs refrigerated at or below 40ºF and frozen food at or below 0ºF.
- Avoid buying salty foods that make you thirsty.
- Purchase food in single serving containers to avoid spoilage and waste.
- Store ice in sealed bags and containers so you can drink the water once it melts.
- Avoid using empty milk jugs to store drinking water; bacteria can grow from milk residue in the pores of the plastic.
Be well prepared
- Make a list and take photos or video of your belongings as documentation in case you need to make an insurance claim.
- Identify emergency contacts and keep a copy in your survival kit, along with other important documents.
- Take a CPR course and be ready for any emergency.
- Make sure your fire extinguisher works.
- Avoid infection by preparing a personal hygiene bag for you and each member of your family.
- Secure family photos and important documents by sealing them in plastic bags.
- Backup your computer- save all electronic files on flash drives or discs and seal them in plastic bags.